Tuesday 12 January 2016

Stockholm, Sweden

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden and has nearly 1 million people living in the CBD. Sweden is made up of 14 islands. I have visited Stockholm before but albeit quite some time ago. It left the 'I must return' impression on me, and I have finally managed to make it back.
Cruising towards Stockholm you encounter so many beautiful properties on the waters edge, I remained on my balcony a considerable amount of time enjoying the views as we cruised towards the port in Stockholm.


As I enjoyed the Steig Larsson books starting with 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', this is set in his version of Stockholm. I took the ship's organised tour of his Stockholm, and we went to the south side. It's different from the CBD and has some stunning picturesque areas where if I had the time I would sit and meditate or just take in the beautiful city across the water. Of course, many of the areas he spoke about are a mixture of real and fictional, to enhance his storyline, but there are places, street addresses and coffee shops that you can visit that are real and mentioned in his books.


The Scandinavian way of decorating buildings is very obvious in Stockholm with all their colour and characteristic architecture. I've always enjoyed the Scandinavian style of functional, cleverly designed minimalist furniture; this reflects in the way they design their buildings too.  With this particular cruise we were crisscrossing the Baltic sea, and unfortunately, we had only a quick visit, and so Stockholm remains on my 'must return to' list.


It would have been my preference to have a longer stay in Stockholm even overnight like a few of the other cruise lines do and fewer destinations to be able to immerse yourself in the culture of each particular stop. I'd truly like to explore more of Sweden and its islands to get a better sense of this land, culture and its people. I'd suggest a tour of Scandinavia on its own, probably self-driven to see a different side of it and also get to more than just the capital cities, A trip like I did in Italy and wrote about at the beginning of this blog.


No comments: